Broccoli, Hamburger and Cheese Soup
This is a meal in itself—it's both hearty and nutritious—and I usually serve it with just a simple salad and hard rolls.—Gloria Cudmore, Castlewood, South Dakota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add bouillon and stir until dissolved. Add broccoli; cook according to package directions. Do not drain. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Remove from the heat and stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the cheese, beef, broccoli with cooking liquid. Cook until heated through and cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 302 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 750mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Apr 22, 2013
I've made this so many times now. It is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes. The only change I make is I use fresh instead of frozen broccoli. Tastes even better as leftovers!