Big Batch Cheeseburger Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-3/4 pounds potatoes (about 3-4 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles, 6-8 minutes; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add potatoes, broth, milk, carrots, celery and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 7-9 hours.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in sour cream. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 300 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 949mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Feb 14, 2020
I wasn't a huge fan of this soup. It's very thin and not very cheesy as written, so if I made it again, I would add more Velveeta and thicken the broth as another review suggested. I don't think I will be making this again though.
Dec 2, 2019
Very yummy. I added a small can of green chilies and a little extra cheese. Great with cornbread.
Jul 14, 2019
This is the best soup EVER! Made it several times that I had to give this recipe to friends.
Dec 23, 2018
Will try to get it made at home or have it at a good restaurant. Thanks
Sep 25, 2017
I have to admit that I was skeptical of this because I'm not a big velveeta fan. I am happy to say I was wrong, though. I made this soup exactly as written, and it was absolutely delicious!
Jan 1, 2017
Great flavor, a hit at our home! Will definately make this again.
Nov 28, 2016
Used as a "base" but made a few changes -- added 1/2 pound more meat; 12 ounces of Velveeta; about 2 cups shredded sharp cheese and 1 cup sour cream. I put everything into the crock pot at the same time but mixed very well ... substituted vegetable broth and used 32 ounces. Checked periodically and added broth to get consistency we liked.
Nov 22, 2016
This soup recipe intrigued our family so we decided to try it. The cheese came in a 1 pound brick, and I'm glad it did because we ended up adding the entire 1 pound rather than just the 8 ounces that the recipe called for. Also, it seemed that the broth would be better if it were a little thicker, so I thickened it with a few tablespoons of flour whisked in. With these changes, it was a huge hit at our house. We had a variety of toppings such as red onion, green onion, bacon pieces, and mushrooms.