Sausage Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble sausage with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, basil and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Serve with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 268 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 908mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein.
Jun 27, 2019
I found this to be very bland. I wish I had read the review from jessicadidion before making this because my family does enjoy a good bean soup. If I make this again, I will follow her suggestions.
Mar 12, 2018
The misses and I both loved it. Maybe a slight bit salty but we didn't use no salt or low salt canned items.
Feb 24, 2018
This was very good soup! I didn't have butter beans so used Northern beans and added salt free Italian seasoning blend. Also boiled some elbow pasta that we put into the bottom of our bowls before adding soup on top. This was a delicious soup on a cold Michigan winter day!
Feb 10, 2018
It's too salty and does not have a lot of flavor. I used fresh basil, low sodium broth and Italian spiced tomatoes.
Jan 8, 2017
Delicious, fast and super easy. Big win tonight at dinner, even the kids ate their portions! I added a summer squash and used a can of medium Rotel instead of just diced tomatoes. Very yummy. Thanks for posting!
Nov 19, 2016
I always make recipes "as is" when trying for the first time. We actually found this to be a bit bland in its original version. I jazzed it up the second time by using Italian-diced tomatoes, as well as more basil and then added some Italian spice. This helped a lot.
Jan 12, 2016
I used the butter beans and kidney beans also the smoked turkey kielbasa, it was awesome! Don't forget the basil, makes the dish! Thanks TOH!
Jun 29, 2015
Super easy and it goes together real fast. I did simmer mine covered for longer than 10 minutes. Removed the lid and simmered for 10 minutes. I also added a little bit of water to it the next day as it really thickened up overnight.Hubby said its The Best *Janie
Apr 8, 2014
Such a wonderful soup. I added 1 tsp of beef bouillon and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Also used northern beans. It turned out really delicious and leftovers were even better! A definite keeper!!
Jan 21, 2014
Loved this soup! So tasty!