Potato Kale Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat fully cooked Polish sausage or turkey kielbasa, sliced
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes slightly. Add the kale, beans and sausage; cook over medium-low heat until kale is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 194 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 50g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Dec 14, 2018
delicious, nutritious and easy winter soup. good way to get kale into your kids. i used polish kielbasa and it was great. i also happened to have homemade chicken stock on hand which helped. and last, i never use canned beans. soaking and boiling in advance really is no big deal and it makes such a difference.
Apr 9, 2018
Easy to make, delicious and nutritious. This recipe is a "keeper."
Nov 15, 2015
Great soup! I had made once before and usually end up having to modify based on what I have on hand. Used large bag of baby kale and spinach so upped the broth and a little more on everything as like to have some to share. Very good to curb the brrrr in the air.
Sep 22, 2015
My whole family, even the kids, were asking for more! They all ate kale and enjoyed it!
Apr 14, 2015
A great way to add Kale to your diet. Very vood.
Nov 26, 2012
Tastes great! We have made this several times - we like Butterball Turkey Sausage/Polska Kielbasa best. We use one sausage per batch. (P.S. Make sure kale is tender!)
Apr 17, 2012
Family loves this! I had to try this.Very simple recipe and so tasty.I will be making this again.
Feb 10, 2012
This was a wonderful, hearty, surprisingly flavorful soup! It really hit the spot. I didn't have reduced sodium chicken broth, so I used regular. With the added salt in the recipe, it was a bit too salty, so I would leave out the added salt next time. But otherwise, it was delicious! It was simple to make and is a great way to sneak in a dark leafy vegetable for people who wouldn't normally want to eat them.
Jul 3, 2010
Thank you so much for this delicious recipe! When I'd tried braising kale, I did not like it. I gave it a second chance in this recipe and I am really glad I did! This soup is nutritious and delicious. This recipe is definitely a keeper for making again!
Mar 1, 2010
This is a very easy recipe, tastes great and is nutritious... my husband says there's too much kale, ao you can cut back on it if you wish, but I like it w/the amount in the recipe.