Halloween Acorn Squash Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 7 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash
- Additional cayenne pepper, optional
- Cut pumpernickel bread with bat- or cat-shaped 3-1/2-in. cookie cutters; discard scraps. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. In a small bowl, combine the butter, oil and salt; brush over both sides of cutouts. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and toasted. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in remaining butter until tender. Stir in the flour, bouillon, dill, curry and cayenne until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in squash; heat through. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through. Garnish servings with bat or cat cutouts; sprinkle with additional cayenne if desired.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 14, 2012
Just made this soup and it's wonderful. Tastes delicious on a cool, fall and rainy day!
Oct 13, 2012
This was fantastic! Just like Ohio 46, I used Butternut Squash because it was what I had on hand. Worked wonderfully. I upped the Cayenne to 1/4 tsp because of our personal tastes and could have even used more. I kept the curry at 1/4 tsp. as stated and would recommend using that as a starting point unless you are really into curry. Very nice fall flair.
Oct 10, 2012
This is a great soup. I just wanted to add that butternut squash works even better than the acorn squash as it is much less "stringy". I am a firm believer in use what you have and what your family prefers so try either one and you won't be disappointed.
Oct 10, 2012
Great on a cold day. Great flavor!