Roasted Autumn Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2 pounds carrots (about 8 large)
- 1-1/2 pounds parsnips (about 6 medium)
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley and sage
- Preheat oven to 400°. Peel and cut sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips into 1-1/2-in. pieces; place in a large bowl. Add onions and garlic cloves; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Divide mixture between two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Roast 40-50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer vegetables to a Dutch oven. Add broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through. Sprinkle servings with minced herbs.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 240 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 1251mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 7g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 25, 2018
This is a fabulous soup. I make it during the winter and summer. It freezes very will. I microwave my frozen container right from the freezer and it's delicious.
Oct 29, 2017
I only made half the recipe as other reviewers suggested, and I'm glad I did. Even half a recipe made a lot. This recipe is delicious. I didn't have any kind of milk, so I just used extra vegetable broth. It's a keeper in my recipe file. And, bonniefelland, I suspect it's the extra teaspoon of salt in the recipe that gives it the high sodium count. I didn't use that, but salted a little bit to taste with coarse kosher salt.
Oct 23, 2017
Thought I was going to love this, but just didn't. I am sure it has nothing to do with the recipe - just my taste. I felt it was missing flavor. Perhaps I didn't roast the veggies long enough. Not having an immersion blender, I used the regular blender. Not sure if that makes a big difference or not, but my husband and son were not fans of the texture.
Sep 9, 2017
High in sodium but I used low sodium broth and vegetable broth. Delish!
May 28, 2016
Lovely soup. Only used 2 parsnips (as I don't like them) and added 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder. Loved by whole family. Cooked this in slow cooker. Perfect. 10/10. Thanks for a great recipe.
Feb 6, 2016
This recipe was fantastic. I made the recipe as written, except I used the full can (12 oz) of evaporated milk rather than just 8 ounces and used 4 ounces less chicken broth. I also KILLED the garlic with the first roast, so use caution with your garlic! I found 15 minutes was plenty.That said, this recipe is a keeper and I love it. It's surprisingly flavorful for the lack of spices (I also forgot to add parsley and sage at the end). I highly recommend!
Oct 14, 2015
What gives this the enormous sodium count?!
May 12, 2015
Delicious! I cut everything in half except the seasonings, I actually added a little more salt and pepper to taste, and added ground sage.
Jan 12, 2015
Very tasty and thick with a lot of flavor. I halved the recipe for me and my husband and it still made plenty!
Nov 24, 2014
I made this soup over the weekend, it was delicious! I added a small turnip. Easy to make!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.