Harvest Squash Soup
This soup is perfect for a group after an autumn outing. The combination of squash, applesauce and spices gives it an appealing flavor.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 113 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Harvest Squash Soup in Country August/September 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.