Butternut Squash Soup with Cinnamon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes14 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- Crystallized ginger, fresh cracked pepper, optional
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-or 6-quart slow cooker; add squash. Combine the broth, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon; pour over squash. Cover and cook on low until squash is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Cool slightly. Discard cinnamon stick. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to slow cooker. Whisk in cream cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes longer. If desired, top with crystallized ginger and fresh cracked pepper.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 135 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Nov 23, 2019
Because I started dinner at 5 and didn't realize it was a slow cooker recipe, I decided to try and make this in my Instant Pot and it was wonderful. I put everything minus the butter, in the Pot as called for in step 1. I did not cube the squash but just cut it in half. I set the Pot to high pressure for 25 minutes. Then I followed step 2 as written. We'll be making this again! Thanks for sharing!
Nov 15, 2019
Recipe looked and sounded good. Followed recipe (mostly...). Instead of butternut I used acorn squash I had roasted the night before and made the recipe on the stovetop instead of crockpot. Simmered for about an hour to release cinnamon from stick. I added a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little zing!!.... wife loved it! Will try again with butternut. Don’t hesitate to make this recipe. It’s warm and creamy and just what the body needs on a chilly fall night!
Dec 23, 2018
Lovely and yummy-will try to have it.
Dec 5, 2017
I improvised this recipe a little by adding cooked, mashed potatoes to the cooked squash, used half the cream cheese and added about 1/2 cup milk to the squash/potato mix. Cooked slow on the stove until cheese melted then processed lightly in the blender. Garnished with sour cream and a few seasoned croutons. Delicious recipe adapts to whatever you have in your inventory! Can hardly wait until tomorrow's dinner when the delicate flavors of this recipe will mature.
Oct 1, 2017
Very nice soup! I think next time I’ll add just a touch more ginger perhaps.
Oct 3, 2016
This soup was so good, and so easy to make. I did add the cream cheese, but after reading the reviews, next time I may compromise and only add half.
Jan 26, 2015
Really really delicious. I have also done this with no cream cheese and it tastes like the soup at a national restaurant chain. If you have an immersion blender, you can really achieve that same silken texture! My nickname is "Spilly" so the immersion blender works better for me than pouring into a blender for pureeing. This recipe is a keeper, thanks for sharing!!
Oct 16, 2014
Fantastic. Very easy, very good. I want to use it as a sauce for broccoli, cauliflower.. maybe even as a nacho dip.
Feb 26, 2014
This was my first time making butternut squash soup. This recipe was sooooo easy and delicious. I used chicken stock because that is what I had on hand. I also sprinkled in somenutmeg. I did not have any cream cheese so I put in a big splash of heavy cream. Also my firsttime using an immersion blender. Definitely need more practice with that, but it worked great!
Oct 26, 2013
My family loves this soup, nice served with chopped cilantro.