Apple Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and sage; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Add broth, apples and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12 minutes.
- Add squash, ginger and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Add milk; heat through, stirring occasionally (do not allow to boil). Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 119 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 30, 2015
I really liked this recipe! It was my first time making it tonight. Next time I would use a little less onion and more apple. My grocery store did not have any frozen squash in stock so I bought fresh (peeled and pre-cut). However, I screwed up and forgot to cook the squash before adding it. I just added 20 minutes to the cook time and it was fine.
Oct 27, 2014
This soup is very easy to make and taste delicious! I used fresh peeled butternut squash. I also added some nutmeg and used an immersion blender. I'm definitely saving this one and going to make it again!
Nov 3, 2013
Mild and very good autumn soup. I used fresh steamed butternut and evaporated milk for creaminess.
Oct 16, 2013
My Daughter is fighting cancer. She can't have butter or Milk. I used Cocomut oil in stead of butter and Almond milk. This was a great hit with then entire family, from youngest grandchild to Grandpa. My daughter loved it and wanted to take some home but it was all gone.
Nov 16, 2012
I had leftover squash to use and was in the mood for soup so I tried this recipe. I am so glad I did! My three-year-old son actually wanted a second bowl and he never asks for seconds of soup. My husband also said the flavor was really good-we especially liked the subtle taste of sage. I did substitute vegetable broth for chicken and added a little more broth when I processed the soup as it seemed like it was going to be too thick. It was delicious! I will definitely be making this again!
Dec 6, 2011
This is really good! I did tick it a bit for my own personal liking. I used fat free vegetarian broth and placed everything in the crock pot (except the milk) on simmer for six hours. I did not peel the apples and I used a sixteen ounce bag of frozen butternut squash. After it was done, I blended it with an emersion blender and added the milk and about three tablespoons of brown sugar. Next time I might add a third apple. This is a definite keeper!
Oct 14, 2011
I substituted steamed fresh squash instead of frozen...and even though I loved the recipe I think I'll go a little lighter on the sage the next time. Family loved it.
Jan 17, 2010
delicious and easy to make even for someone new to making soups..... like me! The only change I made was to roast the squash. I used an immersion blender instead- easy!!