Curried Acorn Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- Place squash, cut side down, in a greased shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is almost tender.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and curry powder in butter until onion is tender. Remove from the heat; set aside. Carefully scoop out squash; add pulp to saucepan. Gradually add broth. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until squash is very tender. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process the squash mixture until smooth; return to saucepan. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with bacon if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 196 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 3, 2018
I made this to start our Thanksgiving dinner and it was phenomenal! Everyone said it was restaurant quality. We'll be making this again for sure.
Nov 14, 2018
Hubby loved this. I halved the curry powder because I was afraid but will add a little more next time. The nutmeg seemed to soothe the curry. I had to sub sour cream for the 1/2 and 1/2 I didn’t have. Very easy to make. Added cool peeled squash directly to saucepan with onion and curry. Used immersion blender to purée , and then added broth in batches before heating on low for 15-20 minutes. Blended nutmeg with sour cream and added, careful to not boil. Wonderful with a crisp salad.
Nov 7, 2018
This is a lovely soup..... and I don't even like curry! lol It's soooooo simple to make and what a flavorful combination of flavors. I used margarine instead and a combination of half and half and almond milk just to cut back on the saturated fats and cholesterol. Thanks for sharing. This is a keeper!
Oct 9, 2018
This soup is amazing! I love curry and this had just the right amount - not overpowering at all. I’m making it again tomorrow...
Nov 14, 2017
LOVED this soup. I had never made squash soup, also a big hit with my husband.
Feb 10, 2016
What an outstanding recipe! I didn't have any half-and-half on hand, so I substituted coconut/almond milk. I also reduced the amount of curry to suit our tastes. I'll definitely be making this recipe again!
Jan 30, 2015
Christmas dinner starter - was a hit
Nov 1, 2014
This was really good, however I did reduce the curry powder in half and that was plenty of flavor for us
Oct 5, 2014
This was really good! My gluten-free husband also loved it. I, however, was able to eat it with some nice crusty bread! Lucky me! This is definitely a keeper recipe for us.
Sep 23, 2014
Really good thick, rich and creamy. We added a large pinch of crushed red chilli and Pancetta and they worked well.