Curried Acorn Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- Place squash, cut side down, in a greased shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is almost tender.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and curry powder in butter until onion is tender. Remove from the heat; set aside. Carefully scoop out squash; add pulp to saucepan. Gradually add broth. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until squash is very tender. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process the squash mixture until smooth; return to saucepan. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with bacon if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 196 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 14, 2017
LOVED this soup. I had never made squash soup, also a big hit with my husband.
Feb 10, 2016
What an outstanding recipe! I didn't have any half-and-half on hand, so I substituted coconut/almond milk. I also reduced the amount of curry to suit our tastes. I'll definitely be making this recipe again!
Jan 30, 2015
Christmas dinner starter - was a hit
Nov 1, 2014
This was really good, however I did reduce the curry powder in half and that was plenty of flavor for us
Oct 5, 2014
This was really good! My gluten-free husband also loved it. I, however, was able to eat it with some nice crusty bread! Lucky me! This is definitely a keeper recipe for us.
Sep 23, 2014
Really good thick, rich and creamy. We added a large pinch of crushed red chilli and Pancetta and they worked well.
Jul 24, 2013
I am a squash lover, so I love this recipe. This is smooth and creamy, but very filling. I added an extra cup of chicken broth and half-and-half. Delicious.
Sep 18, 2011
This was easy and very yummy. I added a couple of Thai chili peppers for an extra kick.
Feb 8, 2011
This was easy to make and best of all it was DELICIOUS!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.