Curried Acorn Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- Place squash, cut side down, in a greased shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is almost tender.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and curry powder in butter until onion is tender. Remove from the heat; set aside. Carefully scoop out squash; add pulp to saucepan. Gradually add broth. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until squash is very tender. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process the squash mixture until smooth; return to saucepan. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with bacon if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 196 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 3, 2018
I made this to start our Thanksgiving dinner and it was phenomenal! Everyone said it was restaurant quality. We'll be making this again for sure.
Nov 14, 2018
Hubby loved this. I halved the curry powder because I was afraid but will add a little more next time. The nutmeg seemed to soothe the curry. I had to sub sour cream for the 1/2 and 1/2 I didn’t have. Very easy to make. Added cool peeled squash directly to saucepan with onion and curry. Used immersion blender to purée , and then added broth in batches before heating on low for 15-20 minutes. Blended nutmeg with sour cream and added, careful to not boil. Wonderful with a crisp salad.
Nov 7, 2018
This is a lovely soup..... and I don't even like curry! lol It's soooooo simple to make and what a flavorful combination of flavors. I used margarine instead and a combination of half and half and almond milk just to cut back on the saturated fats and cholesterol. Thanks for sharing. This is a keeper!
Oct 9, 2018
This soup is amazing! I love curry and this had just the right amount - not overpowering at all. I’m making it again tomorrow...
Nov 14, 2017
LOVED this soup. I had never made squash soup, also a big hit with my husband.
Feb 10, 2016
What an outstanding recipe! I didn't have any half-and-half on hand, so I substituted coconut/almond milk. I also reduced the amount of curry to suit our tastes. I'll definitely be making this recipe again!
Jan 30, 2015
Christmas dinner starter - was a hit
Nov 1, 2014
This was really good, however I did reduce the curry powder in half and that was plenty of flavor for us
Oct 5, 2014
This was really good! My gluten-free husband also loved it. I, however, was able to eat it with some nice crusty bread! Lucky me! This is definitely a keeper recipe for us.
Sep 23, 2014
Really good thick, rich and creamy. We added a large pinch of crushed red chilli and Pancetta and they worked well.