Pineapple Sour Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in pineapple and sour cream until combined. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Pour into pastry shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 350 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 22, 2016
You can't improve on perfection, and this pie was exactly that.......perfection !!!!
Jun 26, 2009
I have been making a pie very much like this one for about 40 years. It is really different and delicious.
Oct 4, 2008
This pis is so easy - and so so good, I've made three this week. Try stirring in 1 cup shredded coconut to the mixture just before filling the pie crust - you won't regret it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.