Strawberry Crumble Pie
I host an annual pie-making party before Labor Day. We host a pig roast on our farm every year, but the pies take center stage at the end of the meal. —Beth Howard, Donnellson, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- Dash salt
- 6 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix sugar, tapioca and salt; add strawberries and toss to coat. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Add filling. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Reduce oven to 375°. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 542 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Crumble Pie in Country Woman August/September 2018