Hazelnut Hot Chocolate
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes22 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 3 vanilla beans
- 9 cups whole milk
- 2-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, divided
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup hazelnut liqueur
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Cinnamon sticks, optional
- Split vanilla beans in half lengthwise. With a sharp knife, scrape the beans to remove the seeds. Set seeds aside; discard the beans.
- In a large saucepan, heat milk and 3/4 cup cream over medium heat just until mixture comes to a simmer. Chop 15 ounces chocolate. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the chopped chocolate, Nutella, sugars, salt and vanilla seeds. Pour warm milk mixture over chocolate mixture. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, whip remaining cream and shave remaining chocolate. Whisk chocolate mixture until smooth; stir in liqueur. Serve with whipped cream, shaved chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. Garnish with a cinnamon stick if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 299 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
May 16, 2019
This hot chocolate tastes like happiness on a cold winter day. Very simple to make. Have also tried the shortcut version in which I used vanilla extract instead of a vanilla bean - still delicious. AND you could go non-alcoholic on this and ax the Frangelico liquor if you wanted to share with the kiddies, but it really does add a nice flavor to it.