—Helen Gerard, Milwaukie, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups finely ground hazelnuts
- Pinch salt
- Chocolate icing, coarsely chopped hazelnuts and fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in nuts. In another bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Fold a small amount into batter until no streaks of white remain; add remaining egg whites.
- Pour into an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely.
- Just before serving, remove sides of pan. If desired, drizzle with icing, sprinkle with nuts and garnish with mint.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use flour.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 170 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Hazelnut Torte in Birds & Blooms February/March 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.