Coconut Cream Torte
"This three-layer cake is rich and yummy," says Carol Barton from Bowling Green, Kentucky. Sour cream is the secret ingredient in the creamy frosting that's chock-full of coconut and pecans. "If you fix this dessert a day ahead, it tastes even better," she adds. "Just cover and refrigerate it."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package butter recipe golden cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, coconut, pecans and sugar.
- Place one cake on a serving platter; spread with a third of the sour cream mixture. Repeat layers twice. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Coconut Cream Torte in Quick Cooking January/February 2003