Chocolate Cherry Cream-Filled Log
When you present this eye-catching dessert on your table, you'll be thanked with many "ooohs" and "aaahs". It may take some time to prepare. But after you see the smiles on your family's faces, you'll agree it was worth a little extra effort.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place egg whites in small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Beat in vanilla. Sift the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture alternately with 1/3 cup water, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine 1 cup pie filling and whipped topping.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter.
- For glaze, melt butter; whisk in cocoa and water until smooth. Cook until slightly thickened (do not boil). Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Pour over cake; chill. Just before serving, spoon 1/2 cup pie filling over cake. Serve with remaining pie filling.
Originally published as Chocolate Cherry Cream-Filled Log in Taste of Home Cooking School Recipe Collection Fall 1996
Dec 27, 2014
My family loved this recipe. I will defiantly make this again, in fact I am today.
Mar 25, 2014
May 12, 2010
This has become my favorite!!!!! I will be making it a lot from now on. Absolutely amazing!