Chocolate Peppermint Log
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt twice.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture (batter will be very thick).
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with cocoa. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and peppermint candies.
- Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel. Place on a platter, seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in cocoa and water until blended. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Spread glaze over cake. Sprinkle with peppermint candies. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 286 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 10, 2018
At what point can you freeze it? Just do the cake ahead of time or can you complete it and then freeze it?
Nov 20, 2018
I have baked all my life so, I understand instructions and how to carry them out. I'm not a newbie. But I was SO disappointed in how this cake looked at the finish. My filling is the BOMB, but I substituted Ghiradelli peppermint bark instead of using plain peppermint candies because I don't know a lot of people who like those cheap peppermints. I also wasn't super happy with the ganache. But the main complaint is that it cracked. I cooled it, I measured exactly, followed everything and it cracked. Now ganache does cover some cracks but after all the work I point into this, to have it crack was utterly devastating. I'll let you know what my family thinks after we cut it tomorrow but I would recommend using peppermint bark or Hershey's candy cane white chocolate candy bar rather than just plain peppermints.