Dipped Chocolate Logs
When my sister and I were little, we used to beg my mother and grandmother to make these buttery chocolate cookies during the holidays. Now, as moms ourselves, we get together every year to make Christmas cookies, and the chocolate logs are always on the top of our list. —Deanna Markkos, Western Springs, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup finely ground pecans
- 1 tablespoon red nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix cocoa and hot water until smooth; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla and cocoa mixture. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture (dough will be stiff).
- Cut a large hole in the tip of a pastry bag; insert #829 or other open star pastry tip. Working in batches, pipe dough to form 2-1/2-in.-long logs, 2 in. apart, onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix cocoa and hot water until smooth; stir in butter, milk and vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Dip each cookie halfway into warm glaze, holding cookie at a slight angle; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Immediately sprinkle with pecans and nonpareils. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 140 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.