Chocolate-Dipped Cranberry Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min./ batch + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/4 cups chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Using paper towels, pat chopped cranberries dry; stir into dough.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned, 11-13 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate mixture; sprinkle chocolate with walnuts if desired. Place on waxed paper until set.Freeze option: Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets; cover and freeze until firm. Transfer cookie dough balls to a freezer container. May be frozen for up to 3 months. To use, bake frozen cookie dough as directed, increasing time by 3-4 minutes. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Test Kitchen Tips:
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 130 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 10, 2012
These cookies are great! The first time I made them the cookies didn't come out pink, but I learned that if you don't fully dry the cranberries, the juice from the cranberries turn the cookie the pink color. These have become a Christmas cookie tray favorite!
Nov 10, 2012
I just tried these for my xmas cookie tray and they are awesome. Didn't turn out pink but that would be a matter of adding food coloring. Just the right amout of tart with the sweet. Will make again
Nov 29, 2011
These cookies tasted good, but did not come out pink - what false advertisement!! I will make them again but will color them.
Jan 6, 2010
I used butter flavored Crisco and dried cranberries (chopped) because that's what I had on hand. They turned out very yummy. I haven't tried them dipped in chocolate yet. I'm sure they will be very pretty! It was fun to tint the dough pink! Fun & easy cookie that I will make again!
Nov 24, 2009
these were awesome just the right amount of sweet!
Dec 7, 2008
I made these cookies and they did not have the pink color of the recipe. Also, I had to flatten the cookies before baking. They took about 5 minutes longer to bake than the recipe called for.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.