Festive Shortbread Logs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- With lightly floured hands, shape tablespoonfuls into 2-in. logs. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges and bottom are lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over half of the cookies. Dip one end of remaining cookies into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 188 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 21, 2010
I loved this recipe as a basic recipe but wanted more flavor in the cookie itself. So, to the cookie batter, I added 1/2 t. ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 cup finely ground pecans or pecans, and an additional 1 t. vanilla extract. It doesn't make the cookie spicy, it just gives it a bump. I increased the baking time to 12 to 13 minutes because I was finding that the centers were not fully cooked and that isn't appealing in a shortbread cookie. For the chocolate mixture, I used half semi-sweet chunks and 1/2 special dark morsels. To make it a smoother consistency, I also added 1/4 to 1/2 cup of whole milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla to the chocolate before melting. I did melt it in the microwave but found it cooled to fast while dipping so kept my glass bowl sitting in a hot pan of water. For the ground nuts, I substituted pecans and added in 1/4 cup toffee morsels.