Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 4 medium zucchini (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- Preheat 375°. In large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in seasonings and tomato sauce. Bring to boil; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. In a bowl, mix egg and cottage cheese.
- Trim ends of zucchini; cut lengthwise into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Layer half of the slices in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; dust with half of the flour. Top with cottage cheese mixture and half of the meat sauce. Add remaining zucchini; dust with remaining flour. Spread with remaining meat sauce; sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until heated through, about 40 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with additional cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 273 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 24, 2019
I dreamed up this recipe about 30 years ago only instead of tomato paste I use spaghetti sauce and no cottage or ricotta cheese, I also sprinkle corn starch over the spaghetti sauce to absorb the extra juices. I also boil my zucchini slices for about 7-8 minutes and then put in cold water to cool them off and placing them on paper towel layers before assembling together. I sprinkle Mrs.Dash southwest chipotle on the meat layer before adding the next layer. I then cook for 30 minutes in my 1250 watt microwave.... YUMMY!!!
Nov 30, 2018
wooohoooo qualifying cookies 24-7 I LOOOOOVVEE it. That sounds like a sweet life to me. This looks great! Thanks for sharing it and the other recipes at the Pinterest Power Party – we’ll be featuring this in tomorrow’s party!
Jun 1, 2018
Very good! I used ricotta instead of cottage cheese. Added finely chopped garlic and ground fennel seeds to the tomato sauce.
Aug 7, 2014
We have plenty of zucchini in our garden and we're always looking for new ways to use it. This is a pretty yummy way! I used Jimmy Dean sausage instead of hamburger. I also doubled the cottage cheese mix and added more cheese because I like my lasagna nice and rich! I also peeled and de-seeded the zucchini.
Aug 21, 2011
Me and my husband loved it!!!!! I did make a few changes, like added spinach and green peppers...
Jul 21, 2011
Not bad...but a little bland and very watery! Wasn't bad, but I wouldn't make it again.
Jul 6, 2011
Quick and easy! Everyone likes this and it is very tasty as a leftover too. A keeper.
Jun 18, 2011
If you don't like zucchini...you need to try this! It will make you a zucchini lover!
Feb 14, 2011
I omitted the flour, since I'm avoiding carbs. Which made the final result a little watery, but it was still delicious.
Oct 4, 2009
Trying this today. pix not same as direction.+cook covered-uncovered