Zucchini Sausage Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, sugar, basil, oregano and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In another large skillet, cook the zucchini in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the egg, ricotta cheese and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups meat sauce in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, half of the zucchini, half of the ricotta mixture, 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and 2 cups meat sauce. Layer with remaining noodles, zucchini and ricotta mixture. Top with 2 cups meat sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve with remaining meat sauce or save for another use.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 330 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Sep 16, 2012
We loved this recipe and will be making it again!!!
Feb 23, 2011
This lasagna is always my husband's request for his last meal before a deployment...if that gives you any idea how great it is!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.