Ham and Broccoli Roll-ups
WHEN our two children went away to school, I had to learn how to adjust my recipes for just my husband and me. There were too many leftovers! I started gathering recipes with smaller amounts, and my daughter was on the lookout for me, also. This is one she sent, and I make it often. -Eleanor Carroll, Ellicott City, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 slices fully cooked ham (1/8 inch thick)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli spears, cooked and drained
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Stir in the mustard, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, onion and salt. Combine the pineapple juice, milk and egg yolk. Gradually stir into butter mixture. Bring to a gentle boil; cook until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Top each piece of ham with a cheese slice and two to three broccoli spears. Spoon 1 tablespoon sauce over broccoli. Roll-up, securing with toothpicks if necessary. Place, seam side down, in a greased shallow baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Discard toothpicks.
Originally published as Ham and Broccoli Roll-ups in Reminisce January/February 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 9, 2015
Quick, easy, very tasty!
Jan 19, 2012
Made this on Christmas morning and everyone loved it.
Jan 19, 2012
I made this for Christmas brunch. Everyone loved it. Will make again.