Broccoli Ham Turnovers
"I enjoy creating special dishes for my family and friends," writes Lupie Molinar from Tucson, Arizona. "Although I don't make sandwiches often, these attractive turnovers with their fresh-tasting filling are an exception."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain well. In a bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, ham, onions, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry; cut each in half. Place 1-1/2 cups filling on one side of each half; flatten filling with a spoon. Combine egg and cream; brush some over pastry edges. Fold pastry over filling. Seal edges and prick tops with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 705 calories, 44g fat (23g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 908mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Ham Turnovers in Quick Cooking March/April 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.