Broccoli Ham Turnovers
"I enjoy creating special dishes for my family and friends," writes Lupie Molinar from Tucson, Arizona. "Although I don't make sandwiches often, these attractive turnovers with their fresh-tasting filling are an exception."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain well. In a bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, ham, onions, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry; cut each in half. Place 1-1/2 cups filling on one side of each half; flatten filling with a spoon. Combine egg and cream; brush some over pastry edges. Fold pastry over filling. Seal edges and prick tops with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 705 calories, 44g fat (23g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 908mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Broccoli Ham Turnovers in Quick Cooking March/April 2000