Ham and Spaetzle Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked spaetzle
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/3 cup cubed deli ham
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook spaetzle according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Drain spaetzle; stir the spaetzle, broccoli, cheese, ham, mustard and pepper into the white sauce. Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 443 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2013
Just ok. Looked better than it tasted. Needed more flavor.
Mar 19, 2012
Our children are responsible for choosing and cooking a meal twice a month, and my eight year old picked this. She said she would make it again, but would prefer the broccoli on the side. I thought it was good, but not mind blowing. Given the expense of Gruyere, in this dish, you could swap Jarlsberg or Swiss and not alter the taste too much.
Dec 27, 2010
I made this recipe about two years ago. My husband and I both liked it. However, he felt that it was a bit salty. I think the next time I make it I will substitute salted butter with unsalted butter. This is a complete meal that easily uses leftover ham from the holidays (that's usually when I make it).