Ham-Potato Phyllo Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 7 teaspoons fresh dill weed, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender; drain. In a small skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; set aside.
- Melt remaining butter. Brush a 13x9-in. baking dish with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo sheets; trim to fit into dish. (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp cloth while assembling.) Place one phyllo sheet in prepared dish; brush with butter. Repeat twice.
- Top with half of the sour cream, potatoes, onion, ham and cheese. Combine 6 teaspoons dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over cheese. Layer with three phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Top with remaining sour cream, potatoes, onion, ham, cheese and seasoning mixture.
- Layer with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter. Combine egg and cream; brush over top. Sprinkle with remaining dill.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 321 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 29, 2017
Does this call for fresh dill? If using dried dill, I imagine you'd have to cut back the quantity used?
Jan 27, 2016
While I liked the dish, my husband and daughter didn't and I can't understand why they didn't like it because they actually like all of the ingredients.
Sep 10, 2015
Gross! I cut the dill to only three teaspoons and it was still too much. Took a few bites but couldn't continue. What a waste of time.
Oct 1, 2014
It's surprising there are not more reviews for this dish. It is absolutely amazing! My entire family loves it including my kids.
Jun 20, 2012
This was disgusting!! My husband took three bites and threw it in the garbage. Labor-intensive and gross. Don't waste your time and money on this one. The dill is what made it really bad, but even if I skipped that step, it still wouldn't be good.
Feb 20, 2012
I made this bake on Valentine's Day for a group of friends. It sure did not last long. I served it with a Seven-layer salad and fresh pineapple. My husband asked me to make this again, please!
Apr 12, 2010
It's a little labor-intensive for my family, but with leftover mashed potatoes and left-over ham, it becomes easier. We LOVE it!
Feb 18, 2008
We have a lot of brunches with a group of friends. Could this recipe be prepared the night before, refrigerated, and then baked in the morning before guests arrive?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.