Asparagus Phyllo Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 30 seconds or just until asparagus turns bright green. Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry. In a large bowl, mix eggs, cheeses and seasonings; stir in almonds and asparagus.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush a 13x9-in. baking dish with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough. Layer eight sheets of phyllo in prepared dish, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp towel to prevent drying.
- Spread ricotta mixture over phyllo layers. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Cut into 12 rectangles. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 295 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Mar 8, 2017
This was unimpressive. My husband and I each had a piece, and then agreed that the rest was destined for trash. I'm super disappointed, as this looked amazing.
Jun 21, 2014
This was really high in sodium for my family but it was just great. I did add a little onion and I chopped up some garlic scapes to add. Only thing I can say about this is, it takes a lot to make something that was eaten up so quickly but it is something that is worth it now and then.
May 11, 2014
Just made this last night for dinner. Wonderful! I think I will add a touch of onion, green onion for color and see if that adds anything. This is excellent just the way it is though!
Apr 14, 2013
Very good. I enjoyed this recipe, next time I may add a little feta cheese.