Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place turnips in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, combine turnips, 2 tablespoons butter and eggs. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add to turnip mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 125 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 27, 2017
This was my first time making turnips, although I had eaten them a few times and liked them. My husband was skeptical but quickly discovered this was delicious. I followed the recipe, no changes, and I'll definitely make this again!
Feb 15, 2016
My husband and I both really liked this. I was out of bread crumbs so I substituted panko and really liked that change. Not sure about the nutmeg or brown sugar - I prefer my turnips a little more on the savory than sweet side. We would definitely have this again.
Apr 30, 2013
This is good, it is the best recipe for turnips I have made so far. Nontheless, this is only the third time I have made turnips. The first time it was not so good made with cabbage. This time everyone liked it and they had seconds.
Nov 24, 2011
perfect recipe! Thank you for sharing.We like a bit sweeter, so added 2T of splenda
Oct 28, 2011
I have never made turnips before, so I thought this recipe was a great place to start. I was skeptical at first when I saw brown sugar and nutmeg on the ingredients list, but we all enjoyed it!
Apr 13, 2011
I have made this recipe many times, a great way to cook turnip. People love it when they try it. I have served it to guests many times.