Sweet Potato Carrot Crisp
Sweet potatoes take a different twist in this whipped side dish that pairs them with carrots. It's subtly sweet and has just a hint of garlic, while the nut and crumb topping adds a fun crunch to any holiday meal.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place sweet potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, just until tender, 10-20 minutes. Drain; transfer to a blender or food processor. Working in batches, pulse with next six ingredients until smooth. Pour into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over sweet potato mixture. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 116 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Carrot Crisp in Country Woman Christmas 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.