- 3 cups diced peeled turnips
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese or grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place the turnips, water and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt if desired until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in turnips.
- Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cornflakes and cheese if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with parsley if desired.
3/4 cup: 128 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.