Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 package (2 pounds) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, soup, milk, cheese, 1/2 cup butter, onion, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until potatoes are tender, 3-4 hours.
- Just before serving, combine the cornflake crumbs and remaining butter in a pie plate. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Stir the potatoes; sprinkle with crumb topping.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 234 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Sep 18, 2019
I always kinda tweak recipes so on this one I used the hash browns with onions and peppers. I also added cubes of ham. The rest of the ingredients the same. Wow it was awesome.
Nov 20, 2018
I substituted fat free mushroom soup for the chicken soup. I hate cream of chicken soup. I make into a one pot meal by adding 1 pound each browned and well drained ground beef and pork sausage. Serve with a green salad.
Nov 17, 2018
Don't know what the difference would be, but mine were really soupy. It also indicates a 5qt slow cooker - I put mine in a 3.5qt slow cooker, and could have doubled the recipe. The buttery toasted cornflake topping was good.
Oct 11, 2018
Delicious! Like a creamy mac and cheese, but with diced potatoes instead of pasta. Great company side dish. Family loved it!
Nov 17, 2017
I needed a potato recipe for a pot luck at work, so I wanted a crock pot recipe that was easy. I make this in the morning and turned on the crock pot at 8AM. I had to unplug for 20 min. to drive to work and plugged in right away. By 11AM I had to put on high and cook for additional two hours for the potatoes to be tender. I suggest cooking on high unless you have at least 5-6 hours to cook on low like the recipe says. When done, you can change setting to warm. This was a hit! I substituted the dried onions for garlic powder since I am allergic to onions. I used about 2 tablespoons garlic powder. I will make this again. Prep time was about 10 minutes top.
Nov 9, 2017
I love making these, as they're not just for Thanksgiving. I like that it frees up space in the oven when I have a big meal cooking.
Dec 31, 2015
I love all things potato and this is a great dish. It can be served with anything and makes dinner a cinch.
Oct 20, 2015
I was surprised at how tasty this was and goes with anything. Doesn't taste like slow-cooker food.
Oct 4, 2015
Excellent! Easy to make and yummy. My husband is still talking about it.. he says it's the best crock pot dish I have made.
Oct 4, 2015
I have been making this for years. My husband loves it ! Have made it for large groups and received rave reviews. Versatile - can also make it in crock pot ! For a little different taste, just change out the cornflakes for crushed potato chips. I have used bbq chips and sour cream and onion chips.