Mashed Peppery Turnips
This recipe was created as an attempt to use up a great turnip season from our garden as well as lighten up one of our favorite dishes. By using turnips in place of potatoes, I made a low-carb side. Now we rarely serve plain mashed potatoes! —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-1/4-in. pieces
- 1 large potato (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1-1/4-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Place turnips, potato and enough water to cover in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain; return to pan.
- Mash vegetables to desired consistency. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 140 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 608mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Mashed Peppery Turnips in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017