Truly Tasty Turnips with Greens
This savory dish is a hit at every church dinner. Adjust the seasonings as you please to make the recipe your own. —Amy Inman, Hiddenite, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes14 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2-3/4 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 bunch fresh turnip greens (about 12 ounces), chopped
- 8 ounces cubed fully cooked country ham or 2 smoked ham hocks (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- In a greased 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours, stirring once. If using ham hocks, remove meat from bones when cool enough to handle; cut ham into small pieces and return to slow cooker. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 58 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Truly Tasty Turnip Greens in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Jul 7, 2019
Recipe looked familiar so I gave it a try. Yes! This is as close to what I remember what my Mother cooked. It is delicious and will be my go to Turnip Green recipe. Most recipes didn't call for Turnips. Love the extra flavor.