Peppery Chicken with Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours + standing
- 1 pound red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- Place potatoes and onion in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix seasonings. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Rub seasoning mixture over outside and inside of chicken. Place chicken over vegetables.
- Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Transfer vegetables to a platter; keep warm. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices for gravy. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts8 ounces cooked chicken with 3/4 cup potato mixture : 616 calories, 30g fat (8g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 1346mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 61g protein.
Jul 20, 2019
This recipe is excellent. I don’t add too many potatoes because I find we don’t eat them as leftovers. They have a different appearance then a roasted potato which doesn’t seem to go over as well the second time around. Always well received straight out of the slow cooker!
Mar 16, 2017
I also used chicken breasts as that is what I had on hand. I should have cooked them for only 4 hours since the chicken was a little dry; not too much though. The flavor was outstanding. It had just the right heat and the potatoes were out of this world. My husband accidentally bought small purple potatoes, but it didn't matter at all. The potatoes were the best part! I'll be making this again for sure.
Aug 23, 2015
I used chicken breasts instead and added baby carrots and a little bit of vegetable broth. Will definitely make again.
Apr 9, 2015
This is wonderful!! I used just legs and thighs and added just a little splash of chicken broth. The chicken is so juicy, one bite and the juices were running down my chin!! Outstanding flavor as well!!
Mar 19, 2015
My potatoes turned out gray looking and not very appetizing. Any suggestions?
Mar 12, 2015
I just put everything together to make this, and realized there is no liquid of any kind! Shouldn't there be some liquid? So I added a can of cream of chicken soup and a 1/4 cup of milk. Next time I will probably just add a little chicken broth. But it was very good, the flavor of the chicken was wonderful! And because the potatoes cooked in the liquid with the onions, they had a great taste too. Would I make this again? Yes.
Mar 9, 2015
Hubby loved it. You don't need to add liquid, the chicken provides the juices. This is a keeper. Flavorful but not hot spicy.