Green Chile Brunch Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 2-3/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 5-7 minutes; drain and set aside. Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with cheese, mushrooms, green onions and cooked sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients. Pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 503 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 239mg cholesterol, 1052mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Apr 13, 2019
Tasty! I already had heavy cream so I only used 1 cup instead of 2 cups of half and half. Also didn’t have French bread so I used honey wheat sandwich bread. It was a hit!
Nov 24, 2018
I have tried a LOT of different make-ahead casseroles and this one is the crowd favorite. The green chilies jazz it up and the half and half makes it creamier than 2% milk (and more filling!)... so it goes a long way! I also use a variety of breads (doesn't have to be french) and hot sausage. Making it again tonight for tomorrow morning!
Oct 8, 2018