Green Chile Brunch Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 6 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 2-3/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 5-7 minutes; drain and set aside. Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with cheese, mushrooms, green onions and cooked sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients. Pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 503 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 239mg cholesterol, 1052mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 13, 2019
Tasty! I already had heavy cream so I only used 1 cup instead of 2 cups of half and half. Also didn’t have French bread so I used honey wheat sandwich bread. It was a hit!
Nov 24, 2018
I have tried a LOT of different make-ahead casseroles and this one is the crowd favorite. The green chilies jazz it up and the half and half makes it creamier than 2% milk (and more filling!)... so it goes a long way! I also use a variety of breads (doesn't have to be french) and hot sausage. Making it again tonight for tomorrow morning!
Oct 8, 2018