Brie and Sausage Brunch Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 cups cubed day-old sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 pound Brie cheese, rind removed, cubed
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with sausage mixture, red peppers, Brie and Parmesan cheeses and basil. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, mustard, pepper and salt; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 424 calories, 31g fat (17g saturated fat), 237mg cholesterol, 779mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Jan 31, 2018
What a delightful Recipe. Its super easy and so Tasty ! I made up just 1/2 of the recipe. All yummy goodies rolled into the great casserole. Make up the night before is another great plus. The bread soaks up all of the drippings giving that a nice flavor as well. Recipe can easily be cut in 1/2 which is perfect for just 4. This no egg eater really loved this one!Volunteer Field Editor.
Apr 6, 2015
Easy to make and delicious !
Apr 22, 2014
Took this to Easter Brunch and was asked to share by all 7 families
Feb 13, 2014
I used box turkey stuffing instead of sourdough beard, and it turned out awesome! I suggest this recipe to anyone who loves a good breakfast!
Dec 28, 2012
I already have a few tried & true egg & sausage bake recipes, but I wanted to try something different for Christmas breakfast. The Brie and sweet red peppers variation intrigued me, but I wasn't sure how well the change would go over with the rest of the family. However I needn't have worried, it was a hit and will be added into the rotation of tried and true recipes.
Jan 9, 2012
So tasty! I made this for Christmas brunch and will make it again for next Christmas brunch too!
Jan 7, 2012
This recipe was very rich and very good. I did make a few changes: German beer sausage instead of Italian; half and half instead of heavy cream; French bread instead of sourdough; and goat cheese gouda instead of brie (didn't have any). I also halved the recipe, didn't soak it overnight, and used chopped leeks on top instead of green onions that also baked with the rest of the dish. I used tri-colored peppers and horseradish mustard, so I think this dish could have many variations and still be delicious!
Jan 2, 2012
I always make an egg bake for Christmas Day morning, for a family which includes those that a. hate mushrooms, b. can't take any "heat", so I've been searching for years for an egg bake worth making again. This is it! I used Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage in place of the spicy sausage, and used about half of the sweet peppers, otherwise per recipe, and it was a hit all around. My husband and I just finished the last of it for lunch today (Jan 2) and it's just as good reheated. It's going in the Christmas recipe file, for sure. BTW, had to buy a 2-lb round of Brie, so wrapped the rest in crescent roll dough and baked it for New Years Eve - wow!
Dec 15, 2011
Amazing. Make this as stated the first time then adjust and play with your food to your heart's content. Two suggestions:1. Don't remove the rind. It won't hurt you and is a waste of time and bloody good cheese.2. Ignore the Parmesan pointers about buying grated or shredded Parmesan. If you want the full and wonderful flavour of this dish buy a wedge of good Parm and grate it yourself. Just my thoughts.
Apr 25, 2011
Awesome.. I switched out the Sourdough bread for Potatoes o'brien.. Loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.