Sausage Tortilla Breakfast Bake
This casserole is perfect for a special brunch. It combines the spices of the Southwest with the comfort of a hearty breakfast. You can spice it up by adding cayenne and hot peppers, or mellow it by replacing the tomatoes and green chilies with mild salsa. It’s versatile and easy—no wonder it’s a longtime family favorite. —Darlene Buerger, Peoria, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 8 ounces bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Salsa, optional
- Additional chopped green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.
- Coat a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray. Line pie plate with half the tortillas. Sprinkle with half of each of the following: sausage mixture, cheeses and green onions. Repeat layers.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, paprika and cumin; pour slowly over layers. Bake, uncovered, until set, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. If desired, serve with sour cream, salsa, and additional green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 268 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 240mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Southwest Breakfast Bake in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017