Sausage Tortilla Breakfast Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 8 ounces bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Salsa, optional
- Additional chopped green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.
- Coat a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray. Line pie plate with half the tortillas. Sprinkle with half of each of the following: sausage mixture, cheeses and green onions. Repeat layers.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, paprika and cumin; pour slowly over layers. Bake, uncovered, until set, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. If desired, serve with sour cream, salsa and additional green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 268 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 240mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1 starch.
Jul 1, 2020
This was absolutely delicious! However, the temperature should probably be updated a little bit. I followed the advice of the previous reviewer and upped my oven temperature to 375. I baked it for 30 minutes initially, and then let it sit a little longer in the oven just to make sure it was cooked all the way through. As far as ingredients go, I didn't have a can of diced tomatoes with chiles in it, but I did have separate cans of diced tomatoes and green chiles. So, I combined the two to make 1/2 a cup. I also used whole milk in place of the fat-free milk. I also added extra green onions as I felt 2 was not enough. Will definitely be making this again!
Feb 11, 2020
I initially baked this for an extra 10 minutes, and I let it set for 15 minutes. The inside was still complete liquid when I sliced it. I upped the temp to 375 and baked for another 20 - 25 minutes to set the eggs. Next time, I will probably cut the milk in half and start with a higher temp. The flavors were good.