Chiles Rellenos Breakfast Bake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (27 to 28 ounces) whole green chiles
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage or fresh chorizo, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional ingredients: Warm flour tortillas (8 inches), sour cream and salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half the potatoes; all the chiles, opened flat; all the salsa; half the sausage; and half the cheese. Cover with remaining potatoes, sausage and cheese.
- Beat eggs and milk; add cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are set in center, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. If desired, serve with warm tortillas, sour cream and additional salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 210 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 11, 2019
This is a very good recipe. I did a couple tweaks because of what I had on hand, like pepperjack in place of the mexican blend cheese and homemade salsa for jarred. Nothing major. I also used chorizo, since it gave that as an option in place of plain sausage. It was still missing zing for us. It says salt to taste and even though other items have a lot of flavor, the potatoes are bland and really need a good amount. I also added a couple jalapenos to the leftovers and that made the dish. Of course, if you don't like spicy foods like us, you will probably love it as written. :)