Easy Chiles Rellenos Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole green chiles
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Split chiles and remove seeds; dry on paper towels. Arrange chiles on the bottom of a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with cheese. In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over the cheese.
- In a bowl, beat milk, eggs, flour, salt and pepper until smooth; pour over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 321 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 212mg cholesterol, 406mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 25, 2015
I couldn't find the canned chili peppers, so I picked up some poblano peppers at the farm stand. I steamed them in the microwave, then was able to flatten them out on the bottom of the casserole. I also added a fresh hot pepper to the ground beef and onion saute, and used pepper jack cheese. It certainly wasn't bland with those additions. We enjoyed the meal and the leftovers were good too.
Jan 31, 2013
This is so easy to make and tastes great!
Sep 1, 2011
This was quick and easy for me to make, the kids helped. Smelled incredible while it was baking but we were all a little dissapointed with the flavor. It was superisingly bland. Maybe I will add a tomatoe and chilie mixture and a fewmore spices to flavor it up next time. Salsa and sour cream possibly?