Chiles Rellenos Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes4 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup cubed pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Combine chiles and pepper Jack cheese; spoon into each pocket. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown chicken on both sides in oil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Add garlic to skillet; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream cheese, broth and lime juice until blended. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro and lime zest.
- Remove toothpicks from chicken. Serve with cream sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 416 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 43g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 23, 2014
This recipe is absolutely fabulous. We both loved it! I normally make all of these notes of what I would do the next time I make the recipe. For this recipe my comment was "perfect as is".
Jun 27, 2013
I have made this 3 times already...my family loves it! I did cut the lime juice in half and roasted my own green chilies (I live in NM so we have plenty fresh from the garden).
Oct 16, 2012
So yummy! I served with pasta b/c I didn't have egg noodles and didn't feel like rice. I doubled the sauce, and I'm glad I did. However, I didn't double the lime - used 1 tsp lime zest and about 2.5 tbsp lime juice. I thought it came out just right. Any more, and I think the lime would have been overpowering.
Jul 19, 2012
Tangy cream cheese sauce and lots of green chili punch!