Chicken Chiles Rellenos Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) cornbread/muffin mix
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir until peppers are tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in cream cheese until blended. Add pepper jack, chicken and green chiles; heat through, stirring to combine. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions. Spread over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 610 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 987mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 22, 2018
Too much corn bread and not enough flavor, for us anyway.
Apr 17, 2017
We loved this!!! I used 2 fresh chopped green chilis and cooked them with the peppers instead of the canned. Also the second time I made this I put it in a 9 x 13 dish. GREAT!!! Thanks for this recipe!!!
Apr 1, 2017
I loved this! But my hubby did not, which is why it lost a star. I thought it was quite satisfying, unique, and the cornbread was oh so yummy. Too bad I can't make it again.
Mar 26, 2017
Would definitely only use one box of corn bread. I used two and it was way to overpowering. Other than that the dish was good.
Dec 27, 2016
We thought it was just okay. It was "heavy" and had too much cornbread to filling. But the overall taste was generally good.
Nov 5, 2016
Good was different tasted like a chicken enchaladia with corn bread. Will make again.
Jul 4, 2016
The entire family loved this recipe! My pepper jack cheese contained both jalapenos and habaneros, so I used mild banana peppers from my garden instead of the poblanos called for in the recipe. Only used 1 box of cornbread mix and it was still wonderful. For a change of pace, skip the cornbread mix and layer the meat mixture with (torn) corn tortillas. This is a keeper!
Apr 26, 2016
This was so delicious! I added corn which just added to the dish. This will be a regular at my house.
Jan 3, 2016
Excellent recipe. I brought it to a potluck and everyone requested the recipe.
Nov 22, 2015
I really enjoyed the blend of flavors and textures on this casserole. It tastes a little bit like a chicken tamale!