Chicken Chiles Rellenos Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) cornbread/muffin mix
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir until peppers are tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in cream cheese until blended. Add pepper jack, chicken and green chiles; heat through, stirring to combine. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions. Spread over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 610 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 987mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 14, 2020
We loved this! I doubled the recipe but kept the cream cheese and cornbread amounts the same. Added some extra sharp cheddar cheese along with the pepper jack. Great weeknight meal. We served it with a dollop of sour cream and some salsa on top. Will definitely keep this one handy and make again!
Aug 27, 2019
The taste was great, lots of nice flavor combinations going on in here. I agree with some other reviews that a 9x13 option would be preferable if you desire less of a cornbread layer on top. On the bottom though, I will definitely add corn for a good crunch, and perhaps more chicken to balance out the amount of dairy that’s in this recipe. It was certainly not dry for me but perhaps too creamy. Flavors were quite nice though.
Jul 25, 2019
I didn't care for - too dry.
Jan 9, 2019
Delicious. My whole family loved it. I listened to the comments and used one box of cornbread mix. Good call.
Oct 22, 2018
Too much corn bread and not enough flavor, for us anyway.
Apr 17, 2017
We loved this!!! I used 2 fresh chopped green chilis and cooked them with the peppers instead of the canned. Also the second time I made this I put it in a 9 x 13 dish. GREAT!!! Thanks for this recipe!!!
Apr 1, 2017
I loved this! But my hubby did not, which is why it lost a star. I thought it was quite satisfying, unique, and the cornbread was oh so yummy. Too bad I can't make it again.
Mar 26, 2017
Would definitely only use one box of corn bread. I used two and it was way to overpowering. Other than that the dish was good.
Dec 27, 2016
We thought it was just okay. It was "heavy" and had too much cornbread to filling. But the overall taste was generally good.
Nov 5, 2016
Good was different tasted like a chicken enchaladia with corn bread. Will make again.