Brunch Buddies Enchiladas
In our women's group, we take turns making brunch. I was tired of the same casseroles so I invented this Mexican-style bake. The recipe requests keep coming. —Julia Huntington, Cheyenne, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups cheese, ham, green pepper, onion and tomato in a large bowl; toss to combine. Place 1/2 cup mixture off center on each tortilla. Roll up and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, seam side down.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, cream, flour and seasonings until blended; pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; add toppings.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until cheese is melted and a knife inserted in egg portion comes out clean, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake as directed, increasing uncovered time to 25-35 minutes or until cheese is melted and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.