Pressure-Cooker Risotto with Shrimp and Asparagus
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 9 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1-2/3 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds uncooked shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker and adjust for high heat; warm butter until melted. Add onion; cook 4-5 minutes. Add six minced garlic cloves; cook 1 minute. Add rice; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup wine; cook and stir until absorbed. Add remaining wine, broth and 1/4 cup cheese. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high. Set the time for 8 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions; stir.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining garlic; cook 1 minute. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp begin to turn pink, about 5 minutes. Add butter and dressing; stir until butter melts. Reduce heat. Add asparagus; cook until tender, 3-5 minutes. Serve over risotto. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 424 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 24, 2018
I made the recipe exactly as shown, and it was absolutely outstanding! My husband loves risotto and I could never get the consistency right on the stovetop, but now with my instant pot and this recipe, it’s better than any restaurant risotto, and so fast and easy! Be sure to use a high quality arborio rice — do not substitute another type of rice in this recipe.
Jun 23, 2018
I love risotto and this is a good recipe. My husband isn't so crazy about it but the shrimp and asparagus won him over! The Parmesan stuck in the pan, I may wait to add it after the rice is done next time. I used grated since that's what I had. That may have made a difference.
Apr 4, 2018
Will be making this again! Maybe I'll try it with chicken next time. Forgot to get the shredded parmesan, so I used the Mexican 5 cheese. Yummy!
Apr 4, 2018
This was amazing. I’ve tried a different version of this recipe without the pressure cooker before, and the risotto was so time consuming. Using the pressure cooker makes this recipe perfect for a delicious weeknight meal. I’m keeping this one.