Asparagus Mushroom Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cut asparagus, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a nonstick skillet, cook mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. Stir the flour, bouillon, salt, nutmeg and pepper into drippings until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in asparagus, pimientos, lemon juice and the mushroom mixture.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 162 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 lean meat.
May 14, 2011
I made this several years ago for Christmas and it soon became my favorite. I make this often, it's so easy to make ahead of time and bake at mealtime. I have to double this recipe it's so good.
Dec 4, 2010
Made this for Thanksgiving - family loved it ! So delicious. Prepared day ahead and baked next day - perfect. Really wonderful addition to our holiday table. Give this 5 stars.