Ham and Asparagus Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut asparagus or 1 pound fresh asparagus, 1/2-inch cuts
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 cup shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine the asparagus, eggs and ham; sprinkle tapioca evenly over all. Stir in the cheese, green pepper, onion and parsley.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, cream and soup; add to casserole and mix thoroughly. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Apr 3, 2016
Very good! No change to recipe.
Mar 25, 2013
Made this today and it was really good. I didn't pre-cook my fresh asparagus and it was perfect. I was a little generous with my ingredients, so I added a whole can of soup and 3/4 cup of milk, along with another tablespoon of tapioca to thicken it all up. It was delicious.
May 17, 2012
Made this with fresh asparagus from the garden and diced ham frozen from Easter. Great flavor blend and we went back for seconds. Can't wait to make this for the grown kids and grandkids.
May 17, 2012
Made this tonight for DH and I. I did make a few changes to the recipe........Instead of Velveeta, I used about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I added about 1/4 cup of French's Fried Onions to the casserole and instead of the bread crumbs and butter.....I garnished the top of the casserole with more of the French fried onions...(the ones used for Green Bean Casserole). I put the onions over the casserole in the last 7 minutes of the bake time. Oh...I also added one can of french cut green beans! Can't wait to make this again! It would be great for a brunch also!
Nov 21, 2011
This is so warm and filling and tastes great, a nice winters dish
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.