Asparagus and Ham Strata
For a quick and easy make-ahead breakfast, do the prep work the night before. Next morning, just pop it in the oven. This casserole version of quiche is so hearty and delicious. —Alla Gray, St. Thomas, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour.
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed Italian or French bread (about 6 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup cubed deli ham (1/2 inch)
- 1 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Stir in bread, 1 cup cheese, ham and asparagus. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.Freeze option: After assembling, cover and freeze strata. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake strata as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 320 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 208mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus and Ham Strata in Simple & Delicious April/May 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.