Zucchini Ricotta Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (28 ounces) reduced-sodium meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until just tender. Drain; pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, egg substitute, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, parsley, oregano, basil and pepper; set aside.
- Spread a third of the spaghetti sauce in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Cover with half of the zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers of sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Cover with remaining sauce.
- Combine remaining crumbs and Parmesan; sprinkle over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 201 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 fat, 1/2 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 6, 2019
Jun 28, 2018
My whole family enjoyed this recipe and it was quick to prepare. i used two eggs instead of the substitute.
Aug 2, 2017
Made this wonderful dish. I did not have eggs or egg substitute so did not use any. I added 1 lb ground turkey. I made my own sauce. Did not add bread crumbs and did not precook the zucchini. I sliced the zucchini using a mandolin so the thickness of each slice was the same. I cooked it about 10 minutes longer with foil on and the zucchini was done but not mushy. Added some garlic powder. My husband and I loved it! We couldn't stop eating it.
Nov 11, 2016
This was really good! I added some garlic, too.
Aug 13, 2016
This is an excellent casserole! I added ground browned sweet Italian sausage and used homemade ricotta! This one will be kept in the recipe box !
Sep 10, 2015
Nice healthy alternative to traditional lasagna and a good way to use up excess zucchini!
Oct 29, 2012
Thought it was delicious, thank you for sharing! I had no mozzarella, so I used extra sharp white cheddar, and vodka tomato sauce. YUM!
Oct 14, 2012
Very tasty. Followed directions but forgot parsely. Added a layer of lasagna noodles on the bottom to absorb excess moisture.Worked wonderful.
Sep 15, 2011
A quick and easy lasagna. I grated the zucchini in the food processor, which did away with the need to cook it. I added two layers of no-boil noodles on top of the first two sauce layers. Raw zucchini is full of water and the noodles helped keep the dish from being too wet. I also added more dried herbs and I used real eggs. My husband and kids loved it.
Aug 2, 2011
I followed the recipe exactly when I made it last summer, and we thought it was great for such a low-calorie dinner. I recommend the award-winning Basil Garlic Bread recipe to go with it. :)