Zucchini Ricotta Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (28 ounces) reduced-sodium meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until just tender. Drain; pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, egg substitute, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, parsley, oregano, basil and pepper; set aside.
- Spread a third of the spaghetti sauce in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Cover with half of the zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers of sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Cover with remaining sauce.
- Combine remaining crumbs and Parmesan; sprinkle over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 201 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 fat, 1/2 vegetable.
Apr 6, 2019
Jun 28, 2018
My whole family enjoyed this recipe and it was quick to prepare. i used two eggs instead of the substitute.
Aug 2, 2017
Made this wonderful dish. I did not have eggs or egg substitute so did not use any. I added 1 lb ground turkey. I made my own sauce. Did not add bread crumbs and did not precook the zucchini. I sliced the zucchini using a mandolin so the thickness of each slice was the same. I cooked it about 10 minutes longer with foil on and the zucchini was done but not mushy. Added some garlic powder. My husband and I loved it! We couldn't stop eating it.
Nov 11, 2016
This was really good! I added some garlic, too.
Aug 13, 2016
This is an excellent casserole! I added ground browned sweet Italian sausage and used homemade ricotta! This one will be kept in the recipe box !
Sep 10, 2015
Nice healthy alternative to traditional lasagna and a good way to use up excess zucchini!
Oct 29, 2012
Thought it was delicious, thank you for sharing! I had no mozzarella, so I used extra sharp white cheddar, and vodka tomato sauce. YUM!
Oct 14, 2012
Very tasty. Followed directions but forgot parsely. Added a layer of lasagna noodles on the bottom to absorb excess moisture.Worked wonderful.
Sep 15, 2011
A quick and easy lasagna. I grated the zucchini in the food processor, which did away with the need to cook it. I added two layers of no-boil noodles on top of the first two sauce layers. Raw zucchini is full of water and the noodles helped keep the dish from being too wet. I also added more dried herbs and I used real eggs. My husband and kids loved it.
Aug 2, 2011
I followed the recipe exactly when I made it last summer, and we thought it was great for such a low-calorie dinner. I recommend the award-winning Basil Garlic Bread recipe to go with it. :)