Zucchini Beef Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add zucchini. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes or just until tender. Drain and immediately place zucchini in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the rice, tomato sauce, cottage cheese, egg, oregano, basil and salt.
- Arrange half of the zucchini in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with meat mixture and remaining zucchini; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 274 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 21, 2014
Excellent recipe. I substituted turkey meat, plus added mushrooms and spinach. It was delicious
Dec 18, 2011
I have made this a number of times, it's quite good. Make sure you hardly boil the zucchini or they will be soggy.