Chicken Pesto Roll-Ups
One night I looked in the refrigerator and thought, "What can I make with chicken, cheese, mushrooms and pesto?" This pretty dish was the result. Add Italian bread and fruit salad and you have a meal! —Melissa Nordmann, Mobile, AL
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto, divided
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread 1/4 cup pesto over chicken breasts.
- Coarsely chop half of the sliced mushrooms; scatter remaining sliced mushrooms in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Top each chicken breast with a fourth of the chopped mushrooms and a halved cheese slice. Roll up chicken from a short side; secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down on top of the sliced mushrooms.
- Bake, covered, until chicken is no longer pink, 25-30 minutes. Preheat broiler; top chicken with remaining pesto and remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and browned, 3-5 minutes longer. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed chicken breast half: 374 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 44g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 fat.
Apr 20, 2017
The pesto chicken roll ups delivered a rather new taste sensation. It was a pleasant departure from many of what has become to common in the way of chicken dishes. I suggest giving this unique recipe a try.