Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Shape each into 12 balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 11-15 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 89 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 21, 2014
These rolls are delicious. I sometimes use them to make sandwiches to take to work. The first time I did, a friend asked me, "Where did you get those cute 'slider rolls'?"
Feb 27, 2012
These are very good. The first time I made these I forgot to put in the eggs and they still tasted great. They are now a favorite in my home.
Sep 26, 2011
I am making this recipe again for the second time as I write this. These are some of the best rolls I've ever had, glad I made them myself. A tip I have... freeze the balls of dough on a cookie sheet after they're formed, then place in a zip-top bag after frozen. When you want them for dinner, take them out and place on a greased cookie sheet and let defrost and rise 1-2 hours. Then bake according to the recipe.
Jan 15, 2011
My family always request these rolls at every get together. These rolls have earned me the reputation as the bread maker.
Nov 24, 2010
These are quite good, I made them for a lot of people, some were wheat bread 'haters'. They all ate them up! I got lazy rolling the small balls of dough and made a few larger, and they were great as burger buns the next day.
Sep 22, 2010
Sep 15, 2010
These are excellent for any meal and a treat for holidays. Love this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.